Thursday, March 5, 2009

In response to "tooautistic"

Tooautistic's son was too autistic to continue receiving his funding and my son Dimarco wasn't autistic enough to receive funding. I still can't wrap my mind around this. I don't get it. I can't understand it no matter what perspective i try to take. During my sons original assessment by Erinoak, his eligibility to receive funding was undetermined. They told me that they will reassess him in a year to determine eligibility again. At that time, he was in the 1st percentile in most areas tested! Again, another mind boggling decision. 1st percentile...ok...so...that means that in comparison to his peers, Dimarco is in developmental trouble, however, his "eligibility" for funding was being questioned. During the year we waited, I was fortunate enough to have him enrolled at the BI children's college where using an ABA approach, he learned how to eat, talk in sentences, socialize, write his name, spell words, read and tell me he loves me. Finally the year end mark had arrived and the reassessment was done and guess what, he was not eligible. He was not autistic enough! Because of the very therapy they were questioning, my son had gained too many skills..This is a big LOL. How could i do nothing and just wait while valuable time fly by. But we began ABA/ IBI and because Dimarco benefited from it so much, we didn't get the funding so desperately needed to continue the therapy. They (assessors who determine eligibility) tell the parent that IBI/ABA doesn't work for every child. "They" say that the assessment is done to determine eligibility...."eligibility" would mean that IBI/ABA has a higher percentage of helping the eligible child then that of the ineligible child???? Is this not what our goal is? Get this kids able to communicate by any means. So if the therapy works, stop it, don't continue it????? If anyone understands this please explain it to me. What i have to say is 'autism is autism is autism'. ABA is the only proven approach to help these children. Actually not only for our children, ABA would benefit any child! I read somewhere, i think it was a post on a bulletin board at the BI, but I can't say for sure..."If our kids can't learn the way we teach, we need to change the way we teach our kids" simple, plain and easy to understand!

THis blogging stuff is actually pretty good cheap therapy lol. OK so tomorrow I will comment on EFFECTS OF AUTISM ON MY MARRIAGE. I know I'm probably not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment