Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tuesday night class

This is day 2 of my blogging experience. I was up last night thinking of what I should write about today. I've got a million things on my mind, but I should not overwhelm the 'blog reader' lol. ok so, I will talk about my Tuesday night class. I'm enrolled in one of Geneva's centre's courses. The majority of people enrolled in this particular class are professionals who work with autistic kids or adults in school or group home settings. I was feeling awful after last Tuesdays class. I suffered a major panic attack on my drive home. I had to stop the car to catch my breath. I started to get a migraine and i was feeling physically sick. I got home and threw up as soon as i got threw the door. The last time I experienced a panic attack was after my first and only support group meeting with autism Ontario.
ok .... so lets talk about the background. The topic on Tuesday night was stress and anxiety that our autistic kids and adults face daily. One lady shared her experience with an autistic man she was working with. To make a long story short, she described how the man was distressed, became loud and the police had to be called. I believe they were in a mall during this episode. The police got there and then used a taser on him twice because he was "not cooperating".
I began to think about Dimarco's future. How will others treat him, will he be able to deal with all of his sensory issues? In a similar situation, would the same action be taken on him by authorities? I had an overwhelming feeling of distress, I felt my heart sink and i began to panic. I don't know what to expect with Dimarco! I visualize him attending school and having friends, growing up and bringing home a girlfriend, but is that just my denial / coping mechanism? He's only 5 but I have such a hopeful feeling about his future. He's enrolled in the best school available (BI children's college), receiving the best therapy with the best people possible there. Perhaps in 10 years, society will truly understand autism and we as parents will have a better understanding of what early intervention promises for our kids.
I guess we all have our moments. It's times like these that good friends (maryna) and family (daisy and dad) put everything into perspective.
THANK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment